Tofu Scramble vs Egg Scramble
- 0mg cholesterol
- 9mg sodium
- 10g protein
- 43% calcium
- 169mg cholesterol
- 88mg sodium
- 6g protein
- 4% calcium
There are so many different ways to create your scramble! Be creative! Tofu alone has little to no flavor a lot like chicken..you have to season it or sauce it up to make it pop. Tofu also takes on any flavor you cook it with so adding your favorite seasons, sauces or marinate!
What you’ll need:
- Half Extra Firm Tofu block
- Your choice of tortillas
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 red pepper
- Green onion/white onion
- Vegan cheddar shred (almond or soy)
- 1 tbsp Nutritional yeast (nooch)
- 1/4 tsp Tumeric
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 4 small russet potatoes
- Maple syrup
- Olive oil cooking spray
1. You’ll need to start by pressing your tofu. Why is this necessary? – pressing removes excess moisture, improving texture it also allows sauces and marinades to be absorbed! Take your tofu block & cut it into thin strips or cubes- cut pieces on top of a few stacks of paper towels. Place another set of paper towels over top & top with the cutting board. Next, place heavier weight on the board (ex. Cans, bowl, etc.) Make sure that the weight is evenly distributed & reaches all the covered tofu. Let this press for at least 15 minutes.
2. Peel & cut your potatoes. I sliced my homefries into small thumb size pieces & did my best to keep them on the thinner side. (easier when assembling quesadilla) Preheat oven to 375 & place on potatoes on an oiled sheet with olive oil, salt & pepper sprinkled over top. Cook for 10-13 minutes. Check on them in 5 minutes- flipping them is optional.
3. Dice up your onions, peppers or any other veggies you may have chosen. Start crumbling up the tofu with your fingers or break up in a plastic bag. Toss in your veggies & create the mixture- evenly distributing them throughout.
4. Warm up your already prayed pan to medium heat. Start cooking your scramble tossing it along the pan (as if it were scrambled eggs) Add in turmeric, nooch, salt & pepper.
5. Cook until desired texture & make sure your tofu is covered with even seasoning.
6. Heat up (low-med heat) another pan – You are ready to assemble your quesadilla! Start by laying down the first tortilla- lightly line inside with maple syrup, then add homefries. Top fries with your shred, add scramble, more shred & top with another syrup lined tortilla! Press this & flip. Continue until neatly pressed & “toasted”! Of course how you layer this bad boy is all up to you! Cut in fours & serve with your favorite dipping sauce! Enjoy!
Tofu – can be found in most grocery stores! My favorite is the all organic block (Trader Joe’s Brand)
Shred – The cheddar shred (almond cheese) I used in this recipe is also found at Trader Joe’s for a great price. Whole Foods also has a more extensive vegan cheese section including blocks, slices & shreds- if you are wanting more options.
What are Eggs?
“Hens, female chickens, have a cycle that can be daily during certain times of the year. Like humans, hens have ovaries, though only the left ovary develops fully. This ovary sends a yolk on its path. The yolk forms what we know as an “egg white” as it moves through the reproductive tract into the shell gland. The shell takes about 21 hours to form —out pops an egg! Because this egg is unfertilized, it won’t grow into a cute baby chick.” -Peta2