This recipe is “famous” at our house. My boyfriend requests it almost every week!
The recipe makes 6 small or 4 larger fritters. What you’ll need:
- 1/2 C cornmeal
- 1/2 C flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 small jalapeno diced
- 1 can of corn
- 1/2 yellow squash (shavings)
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- handful diced onions
- 1 diced garlic glove
- 1 palm full of fresh cilantro (optional)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Sprinkle with salt
- 1/2 C non-dairy milk (I used almond unsweetened)
- Vegetable oil
- Lightly toss onions, garlic, cilantro, corn, and squash in a pan until golden. (Optional but recommended)
- Stir in milk & cooked vegetables into the mix.
- Stir until thick batter is evenly mixed.
- Start up your deeper frying pan and add in oil.
- Grab a ball of batter with hands then place in med/high pan.
- Use end of a glass cup (oiled to prevent sticking) to fritter batter and lightly press. (Be careful of the oil splashing up & burning you!) turn down if heat is too high.
- Cook on each side for 4-5 minutes until golden or until desired.
- Serve asap & enjoy!
Your fritters should be super crispy on the outside and softer inside!
Fritters are great for an easy appetizer, main dish or simple addition to a meal!
Optional sauce for dipping. Simple Truffle Aioli– Combine 1/4 cup Vegan Mayo (My favorite is the Vegan Dressing from Trader Joe’s) with 2 Tbsp truffle oil & add some pepper! Easy & super delicious for these fritters.